Brits free Norwegian north face

Scottish boulderers get national league

August 20, 2015 Comments (0) News

Road trip duo celebrate “milestone” Great British Climb

Intrepid brothers Sam and Ed Hamer have updated their ticklist of mega­classic hard routes

as part of the grand summer road trip they have dubbed the Great British Climb Off.

THE best and most iconic route I’ve ever done – Sam Hamer on Strawberries

Supported by Berghaus. It might as well be entitled “Living the Dream” as the duo drive

around the best country in the world climbing the cream of its climbs.

In his latest update on the Berghaus website, Sam mentioned ticking Infinite Gravity, the

45 metre 8a+ Swanage superoute rumoured to be Britain’s best sport climb, before heading

to Pembroke to knock off The Great White (E7 6c) at Mother Careys and ‘Boat to Naxos’

(E7 6b) at Huntsman’s.

Then they headed back to North Wales for some unfinished business at Tremadog.

Sam, no stranger to hard and classic climbing even before the Great British Climb Off, said

of Strawberries, (E7 6b): “This is a route with deep history and has been on my list to try

for ages.

“Last time I was there I had fallen very high on the wall and then had to leave without

success. So I just had to finish it off. Thankfully this time I was fitter and stronger and

managed to nail it. Its perhaps THE best and most iconic route I’ve ever done. A milestone

in my climbing career.”

Praise indeed. And to think that this route was first climbed in 1980 by Big Ron himself!

Leave a Reply